Thursday, July 29, 2010

Level 1 is in the can!

And it only took ~8 hours!

Everything works more or less how I want it to. Obviously, I don't know how to do a lot of the cool things I had in mind, so I had to tinker/find alternative ways of doing them, duct tape and bailing wire style.

At one point I had to duplicate a significant portion of the map. Worldcraft didn't like it at all and, while the map loads up and plays just fine, a big list of warnings fills the console before hand. I've looked it up and the answer seems to be "yeah, old versions of Worldcraft will do that. F##k you", so whatevs.

I'm going to look for a texture pack to use. Right now I am using Quake's stuff as a placeholder. I was intending to just go with it, but now looking back on the finished product it is just too ugly. Muddy dark browns don't translate well to modern office motifs. I could also stand to find some prefabs. Prefabs, for those who haven't dabbled in this sort of thing before, are self contained little models/textures for use in maps. Think computers, office chairs, desks, cars, that sort of thing.

Also, the scale in Quake is wonky. For the weird and wacky world that Quake is actually set in, this is fine and really barely noticeable. But when I try to bring things into the modern realistic realm everything either looks like it is made for giants, or midgets. I can't really find the sweet spot. Oh well. Better textures should hopefully help.

No comments:

Post a Comment