Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Feature List

Key:
  • Items in black indicate something that is already in the game and working acceptably.
  • Items in green indicate something that I've already started working on and is definitely going to be in the game at release.
  • Items in yellow indicate something that I haven't started working on but will hopefully be in the release.
  • Items in red indicate something that I would love to be in the game, but probably won't make it.

Here we go.

Mapping:
  • An intro map, with a tutorial for getting around. Characters get introduced, and the story started off.
  • The level where shat first starts to go down.
  • A middle level where the main button-hunt gameplay most comes into effect.
  • A finale level.
  • Custom cartoony textures for everything.
Modeling:
  • A main type of generic bad guy with an SMG.
  • A pistol, smg, and shotty for the player.
  • Another type of baddy with a shotgun.
  • A pistol baddy.
  • A boss.
  • An AI buddy.
  • Some friendly AI scientists.
Code:
  • AI that is generally enhanced for getting around and not getting stuck on the geometry.
  • A "dynamic" spawn system for pumping in enemies at least somewhat intelligently.
  • Buddy AI.
  • Some non-threatening scientist AI.
  • Some sort of system for allowing scripted dialogue/sequences.

Sounds:
  • My own sounds for the weapons.
  • Sounds for pain, death, jumping, etc... For the player, the baddy, and the AI buddy.
  • Some scripted Left-4-Dead-esq dialogue.
General:
  • Come up with a name for this thing.
I am aiming for a release day of the 17th of July. Testing? I don't need no stinking testing. Now, I realize that I put the custom sounds and textures in red, which means that they probably won't make the release. This means that my initial release will be as a mod and not a standalone game. I really want to see this as a standalone game, but digging out all of the original textures, sounds, and other game content is a load of work, and I'm only going to do it if I think it is worth the pay off. That is why I am going to release as a mod first, and then go standalone on a people-seem-to-give-a-shit-enough-basis. If nobody touches the mod then I won't bother going standalone, it is as simple as that.

What you will need to play the mod: You will need the two .PAK files from the original Quake game. If you don't have Quake you are out of luck. You can always buy the game, I think it is $10 on Steam or you can get it brand new and in a box from Amazon.com for less than $10. It is a classic as hell oldschool shooter and you owe it to yourself to own the thing anyways. I'll put all the relevant information on how to install the mod in a README file when I release the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment